Monday, July 7, 2014

First Adventure

Ok, it was a little adventure, but it was nice.  We went to the AF Academy today and hiked a long time family favorite, Stanley Canyon.  The problem is that this trail starts at about 8,000 feet and goes just about straight up for 2 miles.  I didn't make it that far.  My legs were willing but my lungs just couldn't find where they had hidden the air!  I soldiered on to the waterfall, which was covered in mountain bluebells, and soaked my head and tried really hard to breathe.  We decided that that was enough for today, and started back down, because a heart attack is an adventure I do not want to have.  The great news is that I've finally found some hiking boots that my feet really like!  Keens are shaped like feet!  It was a lovely hike in a beautiful place that we love.  We spent the rest of the day with Sarah in her new apartment, building a bookshelf and a TV stand and taking her shopping. Kate and I have gotten really good at building things together, so we'll hire out for cheap if anyone needs help.  Sarah's doing great and is very happy to be back in CO.  On the way home to Denver, we watched a HUGE storm over the greater Denver area, from the Front Range way out into Kansas, with tons of lightning all over the place.  I love Rocky Mountain thunder storms...lightning spidering across the sky is a marvel!  Tomorrow I'm off to the medical supply store to buy a backpack sized oxygen tank!  I love the mountain air, but I guess I need to get the collective goo from too many years at sea level out of my system before things get to running smoothly.  And don't go thinking this has something to do with age....like my dad used to say when he played tennis at 72 years old and couldn't get to the ball like he used to, "I just need to do it more".  That's my plan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment